Monday, August 4, 2008

The end is always the beginning.

My summer ended today. I officially attended my first set of meetings at Pine View High, thus starting the clock of a new school year. I don't really have a feeling as to what this year may bring, but it will be, I'm sure, one of adventure. After all, Ethan starts 3rd grade, Max starts Pre-K, and I still hate mornings.

I really like my chosen profession. The daily interaction with my "kiddos" brings much joy, entertainment, frustration, and exhaustion. These emotions are all great signs of pleasure associated with what one is doing, but I still think about the longevity of it all. I know I still have another path out there, and when it's time to move onto that road, I'll know. Until then, the pleasure that my kiddos bring to me is enough.

Tuesday will be more meetings, Wednesday the same. Thursday, Friday, and Monday are my days for the real preparation of their arrival. I always look forward to those three days as the real sensation of working for their good settles in. The busy work of planning and scheduling arrives, and doesn't usually ease up until mid-April, which is when the kiddos "check out" and so do I.

"School days, school days. Dear, ole' Golden Rule days....reading and writing and 'rithmatic, talk to the tune of a hickory stick........." The voice of my Dad singing this song used to thoroughly piss me off. Now, whenever this time of year rolls around, I find myself singing it right along with him. I would never say that for many of my kiddos, school days are the dear ole' golden rule days, but I would say that for me, they are.....that is, if we could only start at 9:00 a.m.

No comments: