Sunday, September 28, 2008

Autumn Equinox...a time for harvest

So it has come and gone, nearly the first quarter of the school year. I hate to think of all the memories created that I have already forgotten of this, my 11th year as a public school teacher. Rumors have it that Utah is the worst state in the union for public schools; teachers are poorly trained and lack personal care, the system is underfunded, and teachers are underpaid. On the last two out of three areas I can agree with the rumors (they ARE NOT rumors!), but to the poorly trained and lack of care, I can strongly disagree, at least in my neck of the woods.

This past week was spent with celebrations of Homecoming at Pine View High School. Those alumni who, in years past, opened and closed the doors of our school on a near daily basis for 3 years converged back to their roots. Many of those alumni I have been pleasured to have made acquaintance as I have been teaching at PVHS for nearly half of it's operating history. Statistically I don't know the number of names and faces that I have met there, but to say that I remember them all would be a half truth.

But there are SO many I do remember. Just today at the "drink store" (as E has always referenced the gas station/convenience store where Jud and I get our "fixes") I was greeted by Brooke, a current student; and Justin, a former student of approximately 5 years ago. We also had an incredible visit with Whitney and Nick, sister and brother who were both former students and very close family friends, at our home this weekend.

What other profession brings the long time pleasure of acquaintance, friendship, and love?

Education. It's the word that just always catches me off guard and makes me want to spill my guts. It's tough being a teacher these days, what with the national and state opinions of my profession, who can feel for and support us? After all, don't we just go into teaching just for summers off?

Hardly.

We go into teaching for the moments we can share with our fellow beings, a profession in which we can learn the value of listening, of hard work,and a profession where we can see that our being "there" made a difference.

A time for harvest is a time for thankfulness, not only of the great bounties of Mother Earth, but of the great bounties of association and livelihood. And this year, still 11 years "new" to teaching, I am thankful for my harvest. May it continue to grow and prosper many years long.

1 comment:

blunoz said...

Jill,
I think teaching is a very honorable profession. I agree teachers are underpaid in comparison to the importance of the job they do. The only reason I think our society gets away with underpaying teachers is because of the nobility of the teachers themselves. Instead of dollar signs, they are motivated by the impact they have on society as a whole and the lifelong relationships they build. I'm thankful for wonderful people like you who mold America's youth into a promising future for our nation. Keep up the good work!